SAVED FROM SHAQTIN’ By Arthur George-Special to BASN JaVale McGee is reclaiming...
Superheroes in Sports:New Year; New Gear
NORTH CAROLINA (BASN)-Since the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con has come and went….We, at Black Athlete Sports Network, felt we should reprint our Super Heroes and She-0res in Sports list with a few additions. Read and enjoy.
You’ve seen him with his cape on flying high in the sky in the dunk contest at the All-Star game. However, New York’s Nate Robinson is his little green kryptonite. Every super hero has to have a weakness.
2. Miami’s Dwayne Wade is the Flash .
He is too quick. You can’t guard him.
3. Baltimore’s Ray Lewis is The Incredible Hulk.
You don’t want to make him angry.
4. Olympian Michael Phelps is Aquaman.
With eight gold medals, this dude swims like a fish.
5. Minnesota’s Brett Favre is Iron Man. Even though, the Baltimore Orioles shortstop, Cal Ripken Jr. was the original Iron Man.
He is 40 years old and still throwing the football like a laser.
6. Philly’s Michael Vick is the Falcon.
Even though, he’s an Eagle now, No. 7 still is the face of Atlanta.
7. Olympian Usain Bolt is Black Lightning .
8. Jacksonville’s Maurice Jones-Drew is Mighty Mouse
Here, I come to save the day. Sorry, you didn’t make the playoffs though.
9. New England’s Tom Brady is Captain America.
He is a patriot and you have to be patriotic, right? God Bless, the Red, White and Blue. Yeah right.
10. Former Los Angeles Laker Shaquille O’Neal is Steel
He did not brake the glass on a dunk like Darryl Dawkins aka Chocolate Thunder. He took down the whole damn goal.
His sticky fingers caught a lot of passes in the NFL, but unfortunately he ended up trapped in his own web.
12. Serena Williams is Storm.
You have seen her tornado throwing temper tantrum at the U.S. Open. Mother Nature will kill you.
13. Danica Patrick is Wonder Woman .
This woman is a wonderful driver.
Did you see how he caught that bat with his bare hands during the Spurs-Kings game? But if Ginobili is Batman, then Dallas’ Tony Romo is Robin because they both play for teams in Texas.
15. Brock Lesner is the Thing .
Have you seen the size of this guy. That’s all I have to say.
16. Carolina’s Cam Newton is the Black Panther.
Can you dig it?
17. San Diego’s Phillip Rivers is the Human Torch .
He is always FIRED UP!!! Flame on……
18. San Diego’s Shawne Merriman is Shazam.
When lightning strikes, you better run.
19. Green Bay Packers’ Clay Matthews is the Mighty Thor .
Why? Because, he knows how to lay the hummer on quarterbacks. Plus, he has the long blonde hair like a Nordic God.
20. ESPN’s Skip Bayless is the Joker .
This dude makes me laugh. He is a joke.
21. WWE’s David Batista is the Punisher
The dude looks better than the actual comic book character.
22. Miami’s LeBron James is Luke Cage.
23. New England Patriot’s Head Coach Bill Belichick is Loki
Why? Because, he always has some tricks up his sleeves.
24. Former NBA basketball player Stacey Augmon is Plastic Man
Augmon while in the league was known for his long arms and long legs.
25. Olympic swimmer Cullen Jones is Submariner.
Take a deep sea dive with the brother.
26. Motor-cross racer James Stewart is Ghost Rider.
27. Anderson Silva is John Stewart
Why? Because, he is the greatest mixed martial artist ever, despite losing recently to Chris Weidman at UFC 162. He truly is a legend.
28. Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas is Bumble Bee.
Even though, they called her a flying squirrel. She flowed like a Bumble Bee and stung like a bee. Class pro
29. The Late-Great Flo Joe is the Vixen.
Why? Because, she looked like a superhero, and dressed like a superhero. Plus, her cat-like quickness was beautiful to watch.
30. Robert Griffin III is Black Jesus.
Why? Because, he has performed miracles in Washington, D.C.
31. MMA Fighter “Rampage Jackson” is no other than Jackson King.
32. San Diego Clippers Blake Griffin is the BEAST!!!
32. Golfer Se Ri Pak- is Super Girl
Why? Because, she broke down the Western walls of golf so easily.
33. Swimmer Missy Franklin is Aqua Girl.
34. WNBA Skylar Diggins is Spider Woman.
Everybody knows she is fine. But, everybody has also seen her dish out assist all over the basketball court like a female web slinger.
35.Maya Moore is Flame .
Serious. There is no explanations. You have seen this sista play.
36. Peyton Manning is Dr.Who..
Don’t even ask why? You can’t deny see-ing that big head of his.
37. Brittney Griner is Bat Girl.
Swatting s*** left and right!!
38. Venus Williams is Nubia
Why? Because, Nubia was initially depicted as a twin to Diana (Wonder Woman), which in this case is (Venus’s sister Serena) when she was formed from black clay. Plus, she possessed a magic sword created by Mars, a Greek god who sought to destroy Wonder Woman, which was the only weapon on Earth that could counteract Diana’s magic lasso. Which, oddly could describe the Williams’ sister competitive nature.
38. Denver Broncos WR Wes Welker is Ant Man.
He is small but deadly.
39. Jackie Joyner Kersee is Jet.
Why? Because, she ran like a Jet on the track.
40. Lenda Murray is Thunder
Why? Because, she won Ms.Olympia for eight consecutive years and is considered the finest female bodybuilder in the history of world
41. Laila Ali is Fatality.
Why? Because, like Fatality, Ali has super-human strength, speed, reflexes, stamina and endurance and is considered one of the best warriors in the universe.
If you have any other athletes that you think should be on this list, send their names along with the superhero which match their personality to email@example.com
Eric D.Graham is a graduate of Winston-Salem State University, where he received a B.A. in Mass Communication with a concentration in Radio and Television and a minor in History, with an emphasis in African-American Studies. Currently, he is the Editor and Chief of Black Athlete Sports Network, where his articles appear daily along with his controversial cartoon character Bobbee Bee “The Hater.” Graham can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org