Following a defiant seventh-round knockout of previously unbeaten Jose Pedraza (22-1, 12...
Curtis ‘Showtime’ Stevens back in action on April 4th
Former WBA middleweight title challenger Curtis ‘Showtime’ Stevens (26-4, 19 KOs) simply refuses to quit and keeps on lacing up his boxing gloves. Stevens, in less than three months following a spectacular first-round knockout of Patrick Majewski, returns on Friday, April 4, at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia, PA to battle undefeated Tureano Johnson (14-0-0, 10 KOs). The fight is scheduled for 10 rounds and will be the co-featured attraction to the heavyweight clash between Steve “USS” Cunningham (26-6-0, 12 KOs) vs. Amir “Hardcore” Mansour (20-0-0, 15 KOs).
Both Cunningham-Mansour and Stevens-Johnson will be aired live on NBC Fight Night Series.
“This is my life and my job,” Stevens said. “I like to fight and I don’t want to have a break too long. I could get a little bit too relaxed. Hopefully I can go six times this year.”
Stevens, who turned 29 on March 10, is still a young fighter and has a lot of fight left in his career. Stevens, with the help of Kathy Duva and the Main Events team, can continue to remain one of the most exciting fighters to come out of New York City. Stevens promises nothing but excitement against Johnson on April 4.
“I am back to the old Curtis. It looks like he likes to fight. He likes to stay in the paint, in the dog house and get it on. He looks like a more aggressive Derrick Findley so this fight I might just stay toe-to-toe.”
J Russell Peltz, the matchmaker for Main Events said: “This fight features Curtis Stevens, one of the most exciting middleweights in the division. It is going to be an explosive fight!” Main Events’ CEO Kathy Duva said, “We love Curtis. NBC loves Curtis. Everyone is thrilled that he’ll be back on Fight Night so quickly. Johnson fought on the undercard of one of our Fight Night cards (Adamek vs Chambers at the Prudential Center on June 16, 2012) and I was impressed by what I saw. This should be a good one.”
The 30 year-old Johnson last fought on February 22, defeating Willie Fortune on points. Johnson has a 71% career-KO percentage as a undefeated fighter.
“He has a lot of knockouts but when you check the guys that he has knocked out its guys with records that are like 6-30,” Stevens said. “That is what he is supposed to do. If he wasn’t knocking them out I believe that would be a problem.”
Johnson is looking to make a statement against Stevens. A victory will put Johnson on the map as a middleweight contender on the move.
“I would like to thank Main Events and my promoter, Gary Shaw, for making this fight possible,” Johnson said. “On April 4th, the world will be introduced to Tureano Johnson. This has been a long, hard road for me filled with blood, sweat and ruthless determination. I have been begging for this opportunity to pit my skills against the so-called best in my division. However, it is easier said than done in this world of boxing. No one would fight me until now. I respect Curtis Stevens. He is a strong, hard-punching fighter who has been in with the best. But he can’t and won’t beat me.”
Johnson added: “To all the fans, don’t miss this fight on NBCSN. I’m sure it is going to be a throw-back fight. It has been said that I’m not the most “technical” fighter out there. Well it’s true. I like to mix it up, throw hard punches, and get a little barbaric in the ring. I’m coming to fight, win impressive, and after April 4th, I know I will get the fights I deserve.”