CAROLINA CRISIS: THIS IS BIGGER THAN YOU By Michael...
What I am Looking For
The US Open begins Monday and as I attend the event, there are several things that I am looking at during the first week of play.
- Bryan Brothers attempt at history. Right now, the Bryan brothers are champions of every major plus hold the Olympic gold medal but if they win the doubles champion, they will have completed a grand slam in a calendar year plus have won five straight victories at major championship.
- The saga of Madison Keys and Sloane Stephens, who have followed the open doors by the Williams sisters as successful black athletes are entering the sport of Tennis. Black athletes, in particular women athletes, are now becoming the best in a sport that blacks rarely participated in two decades ago. Keys have a tough opening match against Jelena Jankovic and if she wins, she could make a big run in the second week. Sloane Stephens has an easier first match against Mandy Minella.
- Can Roger Federer come back strong? Right now he is ranked seventh and has been slumping all summer. Could this be the tournament in which Roger falls further behind the other elite players, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray? Or can he make a strong run at number 18th?
- Nadal had an impressive hard court season and can he win number 13th or will Djovokic take back the mantle of being the king of hard court? And can Andy Murray win his third Major over the past year?
- Finally can an American male actually make it to the second week? John Isner had an excellent Cincinnati, making it to the final. If he can play more consistently and with his big serve; we might actually have someone to cheer for.
Day one begins Monday and look for occasional reports over the next two weeks.