By Anthony McClean, Editor In Chief Emeritus NEW HAVEN (BASN) —...
Maliganaggi-Broner headline Barclay Center in June
Paulie Maliganaggi is simply known as ‘The Magic Man,’ but on Saturday, June 22, at the Barclay Center in downtown Brooklyn, NY, his WBA welterweight championship belt may disappear into the hands of unbeaten two-division champion, Adrien Broner.
Malignaggi vs. Broner will be televised live on SHOWTIME along with the long-awaited rematch between Jonathan Banks against Seth Mitchell beginning at 9 PM/ET.
“All of us at the network are thrilled to have Adrien in his SHOWTIME debut, especially in a tough fight against the very smart and crafty world champion Paulie Malignaggi,” said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President and General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports. “When this fight first came available, I jumped at the chance to have it on SHOWTIME. This fight was one of the most talked about match ups of the year before it was even announced.”
Malignaggi, after having been promoted by DiBella Entertainment for most of his career, left the company hoping to land a big fight. Malignaggi signed with Golden Boy, traveled to Ukraine to defeat – for the WBA 147-pound belt before returning to the Barclay Center for his first title defense. Malignaggi’s forth coming defense against Broner simply sums up the reason why he joined Golden Boy.
“This fight was the main motivation for winning my second world championship last year,” said Malignaggi. “I wanted be in a huge main event at Barclays Center. This is a blockbuster event and I can’t wait to make a successful title defense in Brooklyn where my roots are.”
Malignaggi is down with Golden Boy Promotions because, he wants big fights and for two years, he has dreamed of headlining the Barclay Center in the main event as a world champion. Maliganaggi’s wish will come to full fruition, as Adrian Broner is being packaged by Golden Boy as one of boxing’s mega stars in the future.
“Once again, we’re lookingforward to bringing a blockbuster fight to Brooklyn at Barclays Center,” said Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. “Paulie Malignaggi is the type of fighter that is not going to let anyone take his belt from him on his home turf, but he has his work cut out for him against one of the most talented fighters in the sport in undefeated rising superstar Adrien ‘The Problem’ Broner. Add in the rematch between Johnathon Banks and Seth Mitchell and it’s safe to say that the fireworks will be flying a few weeks before the Fourth of July.”
Broner is moving up two weight classes from 135 to the 147-pound welterweight limit. Broner,23, Cincinnati, OH, is flashy, talented, and appears to be on a roll toward big things in the future. However, Broner isn’t fighting anyone because there isn’t anyone special for Broner to fight at 130 and 135 which is why he’s moving up two weight divisions. The only recognizable name Broner has defeated was Daniel Ponce DeLeon, via 12-round decision.
Big names and big challenges in big spots are at-risk for Broner.
A championship fight against Malignaggi in the main event at the Barclay Center in New York with SHOWTIME as a TV outlet is a BIG SPOT for both Broner and the champion.
“Paulette better be in some shape,” said Broner. “On June 22, I will be a three-time world champion in three weight classes at just 23-years-old.”
Banks looks for repeat KO of Mitchell
Jonathan Banks, the lead trainer for unified IBF/WBA/WBO/IBO and Ring Magazine heavyweight champion, Wladimir Klitschko knocked out Seth Mitchell in two rounds when they met last year at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. Banks is looking to prove his technical superiority once again by producing a repeat knockout at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn next month.
“I feel very good about this fight,” said Banks. “I expect a more determined
and a more powerful Seth Mitchell for the rematch and I look forward to the challenge on June 22nd. I’m excited to be fighting and intend to put on a terrific performance for those in attendance at Barclays Center as well as those watching on SHOWTIME.”
A lot of people were excited about Mitchell following two consecutive HBO-televised knockouts of Timor Ibragimov and Chazz Witherspoon. So excited, Mitchell was named as a potential Klitschko opponent after just ‘four more fights.’ Well Banks proved that Mitchell clearly isn’t ready and after June 22, Banks may terminate ‘Mayhem’ Mitchell from the heavyweight rankings.
“I’m excited about my opportunity to rematch Johnathon Banks on June 22 at Barclays Center,” said Mitchell. “I was disappointed with my last performance against him and look forward to meeting him in the ring once again. My team has been working extremely hard in preparation for this fight. I’m confident that my performance on June 22nd will properly showcase my abilities and will reignite talks of me competing for the heavyweight championship of the world.”
More details to follow soon.