SAVED FROM SHAQTIN’ By Arthur George-Special to BASN JaVale McGee is reclaiming...
A Moment in Time pt.5
By Eric Graham
Updated: February 27, 2013
- On November 28, 1961, Ernie Davis became the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy.
- On February 21, 1965, Malcom X was assassinated in Manhattan, New York.
- On February 13, 1923, The Renaissance, became the first Black pro basketball team.
- On November 10, 1960, Andrew Hatcher became the first Black associate press secretary.
- On December 17, 1991, Michael Jordan was named Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated.
- On March 16, 1827, the Freedom’s Journal became the first Black newspaper in the United States.
- On March 28, 1799, the state of New York abolished slavery.
- On February 11, 1990, Nelson Mandela was released from a South African prison after 27 years.
- On February 29, football player and actor Charles Aaron “Bubba” Smith was born in Orange, Texas.
- On March 2, 1962, Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a game.