Call It A Comeback! Ricky Hatton Eyes Return

By
Updated: September 19, 2012
Ricky_Hatton

NEW YORK, NY (BASN)—The fame, glamour, and allure of the fight game is very difficult for any fighter or fight-writer to keep away from. Many fighters such as Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, and Mike Tyson have all retired or comeback for many reasons. That trend of retiring and un-retiring before re-retiring is part of the boxing culture.

Ricky Hatton (45-2, 32 KOs) is the latest to announce his comeback having retired in May 2009 following a brutal second-round knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao. Yup, the ever-popular 34-year-old Hatton will make what should be a highly-anticipated return to boxing.

“It’s more than a comeback,” said the Manchester-based boxer, 33. “I’m fighting to redeem myself.”

Hatton, although many times richer and more famous than most, suffered from depression, cocaine addition, and contemplated suicide. Hatton needs a distraction and perhaps boxing can be Hatton’s saving grace.

Hatton is anxious to return to the ring on Saturday, November 24, at the Manchester Arena in England. Hatton hopes to lure WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi into a rematch. The two fought in November 2008. Hatton, en route toward an easy decision win, stopped Paulie in the eleventh round of what was a one-sided fight.

Since then, Malignaggi’s career took a turn for the better. He looked stellar in two fights against Juan Diaz, battled Amir Khan, and Ukrainian champion in his hometown to become a two-division world titlist. Paulie wants a big fight and it doesn’t get much bigger than a second bout with Ricky Hatton.

“I want British boxing to be proud of me again,” added Hatton. “The only way to convince everyone I’m back is by flattening someone on 24 November.”

Hatton has had one of the most exciting careers in recent memory. Recognized for his aggressiveness, speed, and power, American fight fans took notice of Hatton the moment he stopped Kostyz Tszyu in 2005 to become a world champion.

Yes Hatton has victories over talented fighters like Juan Lazcano, Jose Luis Castillo, Juan Urango, Luis Collazo, Ray Olivera, and Ben Tackie, but Hatton is more likely best-remembered for his losses to Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather.

Hopefully Hatton has something left and doesn’t get hurt in there. Three years is a long time away from a boxing ring. Hatton says be has been training for nearly three months already, but in an actual fight it’s about real timing, real instinct, and a true desire to absorb and display punishment. What does Hatton truly have left? I’m curious and most interested for the world to know.

DiBella Entertainment announces ‘Road to Glory’ undercard at Foxwoods

The MGM Grand at Foxwoods in Mashantucket, CT will be jumping on Saturday, September 29, when HBO will air a Boxing After Dark tripleheader featuring the participants of DiBella Entertainment’s ‘Road to Glory’ fight card beginning at 9:30 PM/ET.

The main event will feature undefeated super middleweight prospect Edwin ‘La Bomba’ Rodriguez (21-0, 14 KOs), a nearby Massachusetts resident, against hard-hitting Jason Escalera (13-0-1, 12 KOs) of nearby Union City, NJ.

In addition, undefeated super bantamweight prospect Luis Orlando Del Valle (16-0, 11 KOs) will challenge former two-division champion, Vic Darchinyan (37-5-1, 27 KOs) in a 10-round bout.

Also, Antonin Decaire (26-1, 7 KOs) of Canada meets undefeated welterweight prospect Alex Perez (16-0, 9KOs) of New Jersey.

The non-televised fights will feature:  super lightweight Danny O’Connor (18-1, 6 KOs) vs. Josh “Nino Assasino” Sosa (10-3, 5 KOs) in an eight-round attraction. popular Boston-based band Dropkick Murphys, becoming the southpaw’s manager.Super featherweight Ryan “Polish Prince” Kielczweski (13-0, 2 KOs) meets Jeremy McLaurin (9-3, 5 KOs) in a eight-round fight. Super bantamweight Luis Rosa Jr. (8-3, 1 KO) faces Victor Valenzuela (8-3, 1 KO) in a scheduled eight-round rematch. The two first fought in May, but the fight was declared a no-contest due to cuts sustained from an accidental head butt.

Also, female heavyweight and fan-favorite Sonya Lamonakis (6-0-2, 1 KO) returns against Queens, NY native Tanzee Daniels (4-1-1, 1 KO).

Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased through the Foxwoods box office by calling 1 (800) 200-2882. Tickets are priced at $45, $75, $100 and $200.

Catch the Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. Replay on HBO this Saturday! It’s a special edition of WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING when HBO Sports presents JULIO CESAR CHAVEZ JR. VS. SERGIO MARTINEZ, the replay of their highly anticipated middleweight title fight, SATURDAY, SEPT. 22 at 9:30 p.m. (ET/PT) on HBO. The HBO Sports team, which was ringside for the live coverage at the Thomas & Mack Arena in Las Vegas, calls all the action, available in HDTV. 

 Other HBO playdates: Sept. 23 (9:15 a.m.) and 24 (12:30 a.m.). HBO2 playdates: Sept. 23 (5:15 p.m.) and 25 (11:00 p.m.)

 Chavez Jr. and Martinez have lately been on a collision course in the 160-pound division. Carried live on HBO Pay-Per-View®, their 12-round Sept. 15 slugfest delivered a closing round that electrified the capacity crowd in Las Vegas, with Martinez winning by unanimous decision. 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>