Bute sends Johnson home beltless

By Francis Walker
Updated: November 7, 2011

Lucian Bute (right)punches Glen Johnson

Lucian Bute (right)punches Glen Johnson

NEW YORK, NY, (BASN)—Undefeated IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (30-0, 24 KOs) retained his title for the 9th time following a unanimous 12-round drumming of former champion Glen Johnson (51-16-2, 35 KOs) in front of more than 15,000 at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City, Canada on Saturday.

“I’m very happy,” Bute said. “This is a great experience. Fighting Glen Johnson is an honor for me. I needed a fight like this.”

Bute was in control of the contest since the opening bell and was simply too much for his fellow challenger and dear friend. Bute dominance was reflected on the judges’ scorecards: 120-108 (twice) and 119-109.

Also, Canadian junior welterweight prospect, Pier-Olivier Côté knocked out Jorge Teron in style at 33 seconds of round No. 2 in the co-feature. Both Bute and Côté’s performances were aired live on SHOWTIME, who was responsible for setting up the inaugural Super Six World Boxing Classic in 2009.

Bute, who was not one of the tournament participants, signed a multi-fight deal with SHOWTIME earlier this year. Even though folks made a tremendous stink as to why Bute wasn’t invited to participate in the Super Six tournament, SHOWTIME hopes to match Bute against the tournament’s winner.

“It’s my dream,” Bute said.

Unbeaten WBC super-middleweight champion, Andre Ward is scheduled to face WBC 168-pound titlist Carl Froch from Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ on Saturday, December 17, in another SHOWTIME televised event.

Bute, originally from Romania, has proven his worth as a skilled boxer-puncher in successful defenses against William Joppy, Edison Miranda, the second bout with Librado Andrede, Jean Paul Mendy, and Jessie Brinkley. However, Glen Johnson, the 42 year-old Jamaican, presented a different type of challenge.

In fact, many people believed heading in that Johnson would prove tougher than Bute’s hardest fight to date – a 12-roundecision against Andrede in their first bout in which Bute was badly out on his feet and was blessed with a “long-count” to survive the final seconds of the twelfth round.

Johnson , boxing’s ultimate “road warrior,” figured to pressure Bute the way he has pressed so many others before him: Roy Jones, Jr., Allan Green, Carl Froch, Chad Dawson, Antonio Tarver, Tavoris Simms, Clinton Woods, Yusaf Mack, and others. Johnson, a veteran of 69 professional fights during a career that launched in 1993, has only been stopped once when Bernard Hopkins was IBF middleweight champion in 1997.

Although Bute didn’t stop Johnson, the much younger, fresher, and charismatic boxer-puncher delighted his supporters by simply making Johnson look old. Bute landed 306 punches to Johnson’s 128, which included 123 power shots landed from Bute to Johnson’s 47. Bute was just allover Johnson from start to finish. Bute easily controlled Johnson, who did appear gun-shy and hesitant.

“I thought I won the fight,” Johnson said to the disbelief of everyone who watched Bute’s dominating performance. “I don’t think he was landing anything.”

It’s a shame that whenever Johnson loses, he complains that he was robbed and that he won the fight.

Johnson believed he beat Bute, but was quick to offer an excuse as to why he lost.

Added Johnson: “My right arm swelled up in about the fourth round so I couldn’t throw my big right hand. I basically beat him with one hand.”

Boxing can be a very strange sport and there are so many different personalities to keep things fun and interesting. Glen Johnson is one of a kind.

Côté destroys Teron inside two rounds.

Unlike Bute-Johnson, there was no need for the judges’ scorecards for the co-featured attraction, as hard-hitting junior welterweight prospect Pier-Olivier Côté KO’d Jorge Teron at 33 seconds of the second round.

Côté (18-0, 12 KOs), fighting in his native Quebec City, pressed Teron (25-3-1, 17 KOs)relentlessly. Côté easily landed his power shots at will. He stunned Teron with a pressed the action against Teron (25-3-1, 17 KOs), of Las Vegas by way of the Bronx. Côté landed his punches with speed from every angle. The highlight of the night was when Côté landed a left-right combination that bloodied Teron’s nose.

Hooks, rights and uppercuts all connected on a defenseless Teron as Cote dominated the opening round. In the final minute, C̫t̩ attempted to finish the fight but was staggered Рand nearly floored Рwhen Teron fought back and caught him with a sneaky right hand. Teron did return to his feet, but was quickly floored again. Teron looked as though he was about to cry his heart out, as if he were a small child that dropped his ice cream in the street during a hot summer day.

Fight’s over.

Saturday’s fights were promoted by Interbox, DiBella Entertainment, and Warriors Boxing.

Timothy Bradley returns on Pacquiao-Marquez 3

Timothy Bradley (left) and Juan Manuel Marquez

Timothy Bradley (left) and Juan Manuel Marquez

Undefeated WBO junior welterweight champion, Timothy Bradley (27-0, 11 KOs) looks to move one-step closer toward a fight with Manny Pacquiao. But first, Bradley must surpass the challenge of former world champion Joel Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KOs).

Bradley-Casamayor will be televised live on Pacquiao-Marquez III pay-per-view undercard on Saturday, November 12, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Bradley, along with Juan Manuel Marquez, held public workouts at Santa Anita Park in Las Vegas.

“I’ve never done anything like this,” Bradley said. “I mean, to put a boxing ring right next to a horse track? Who does this? It’s just a great way to promote our big week and it’s money well spent. It’s just great to see so many fans come out and support us.”

When asked about his prediction about the upcoming battle between Pacquiao and Marquez, Bradley believes, “Manny just has too much size on him. I think it’s going to be a great fight.”

Of course Bradley is hoping for a Pacquiao victory because, there is talk of Bradley moving up to 147 to fight him. Bradley sacrificed a $1.5 million payday against unified WBA/IBF champion Amir Khan and broke ties with longtime promoter Gary Shaw to switch to Bob Arum’s Top Rank for the chance to fight Pacquiao. Obviously, both Bradley and Pacquiao must win on Saturday.

“I’d have to fight a perfect fight to beat him but I’ve seen weaknesses that I know I could expose and would win that fight,” Bradley said of The Pac-Man.

Bradley also didn’t rule out the possibility of a Floyd Mayweather fight. Mayweather announced a few days ago that he’d be fighting on May 5, at the MGM Grand.

No opponent has been named as of yet.

“I’ll fight Maywather right now,” Bradley said. “I’ll fight Manny. I’ll fight Khan. I’ll fight whoever they put in my way. I don’t care who it is. Just bring them on.”