A Very American Coup By Michael – Louis Ingram, Editor-in-Chief...
Boxing News and Notes: Quick Resolve
Normal 0NEW YORK (BASN) — The World Boxing Council voted unanimously to grant Bernard Hopkins an immediate rematch following his distasteful 12-round draw with light-heavyweight champion Jean Pascal on December 18, in Quebec, Canada.
Despite suffering two knockdowns in the first four rounds of the bout, Hopkins came back to simply beat-up Pascal in front of his hometown fans. “I’d like to thank Mr. Jose Sulaiman and the WBC Board of Governors for ordering an immediate rematch between Pascal and I,” Hopkins stated.
“This is a great thing for boxing and hopefully fans will get to see another great fight with Pascal and I. I’m looking forward to starting off the New Year by making history as the oldest athlete to win a major championship in ANY sport.”
Hopkins, who turns 46 on January 15, would have become the oldest fighter to win a world title. George Foreman was 45 when he became the oldest fighter to win a heavyweight title by knocking out Michael Moorer in November 1994.
The knockdowns hurt Hopkins, but most believed that he still won the fight.“I’m very happy the WBC did the right thing,” said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, Hopkins’ promoter. “I think Bernard clearly deserves the immediate rematch.
I feel very strongly that Bernard Hopkins won the fight.”
“Now we just need to get it on again. I am sure that Bernard will leave no doubt that he is the Light Heavyweight World Champion. I’m going to be talking to [Pascal's promoter] Yvon Michel and, based on the conversations I’ve had with him in the last few days, he and Jean Pascal are interested in the fight.”
The only obstacle that would block an immediate Pascal-Hopkins rematch is that Pascal has a rematch clause with former light-heavyweight champion Chad Dawson. It was Pascal who defeated the HBO-endorsed Dawson last August.
Unlike Hopkins, Dawson made Pascal like Muhammad Ali the way he was moving and hitting Dawson. In the event Dawson lost, Pascal was to grant a rematch but was contractually permitted to make one optional defense which proved to be the Hopkins fight.Klitschko-Haye: off again!!
It appears as through a deal between Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye collapsed once again. It’s apparent that with Haye’s “retirement” later this year, the two heavyweight champions will not fight one another.
“If the fight doesn’t happen now, it never will,” Haye said. “I’m done with the Klitschkos. I know I can retire later this year with my head held high, knowing I did everything in my power to make these fights happen.”
“I’ve had defining fights and beaten the best in the world as a cruiserweight, but, without me, Wladimir can never say he’s done the same as a heavyweight.”
Klitschko, who suffered an abdominal strain in the days leading to an optional heavyweight title defense against Derrick Chisora last month, has rescheduled his bout with Chisora for April 30. Haye, who agreed to a 50/50 split of the pot for a proposed showdown, labeled Wladimir a coward.
“We agreed to a date of July 2nd and a venue in Germany with both Sky Sports and RTL and everybody appeared happy with the deal,” Haye said. “We made a few concessions to remove past stumbling blocks and were happy to do so, as it finally looked like the fight would get made.”
Haye added that he agreed to everything Klitschko and K2 Promoters wanted that included glove selection, ringside corner option, and top-billing for the promotion.
“He refused to come to England, wanted to pick his own gloves, enter the ring second, box out of the red corner and demanded a German doctor,” Haye added.
“He also wanted his name to feature first on any promotional material ahead of the event. We bowed to each and every one of his demands. I didn’t want to potentially jeopardize anything this time around.”
Another detail was that a proposed April 2, bout would have been too close to Amir Khan’s April 16, hometown defense in England. Sky Box Office who will be televising Khan’s bout on Pay-Per-View wouldn’t promote two Pay-TV bouts featuring Britain’s top two fighters two weeks apart.
Klitschko believes that by taking the fight against Chisora, another British heavyweight, would have been a perfect lead into the promotion of Klitschko-Haye to the British market. Haye doesn’t believe that Klitschko would defeat Chisora in April and turn around to fight Haye in July.
“Klitschko claims he’ll fight both Chisora and I, but it’s nonsense,” Haye added.
“Are we expected to believe that a fighter that competed only once in the whole of 2009 and twice in 2010 is now going to box twice in a matter of nine weeks?”
“A bout with me is the most lucrative, meaningful and dangerous fight Wladimir’s ever had, not some throwaway tune-up. Wladimir won’t fight anybody nine weeks after Chisora, let alone me.”
Lucas Matthysse returns to face “Chop-Chop” Corley
Former undefeated world title challenger, the hard-hitting Lucas Matthysse returns to the ring following his 12-round split-decision loss to Zab Judah in November.
Matthysse (27-1, 25 KOs) returns to his native Argentina to face former world titlist DeMarcus “Chop-Chop” Corley (37-15-1, 22 KOs) on Friday, January 21, in a scheduled 10-round main event of HBO Plus’ “Next Boxing Generation” series.
The “Next Boxing Generation” series was founded in 2008 by Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions through HBO Latin America. The series has served as a springboard for rising Latin boxers with shows from out of Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Panama, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and America.
Matthysse-Corley will be televised live in Latin America on HBO Plus beginning at 9PM ET (11 PM local time), TeleFutura will air the telecast beginning at 11:30 PM.
The bout is an important showcase for Matthysse, who needs to build his resume against stronger opposition. Although he nearly KO’d Judah in the later rounds, Matthysse’s biggest win came against a fade former titlist in Vivian Harris.
Matthysse is a very strong puncher and can box, but has fought a lot of “tomato cans.”
Corley is far from a tomato can. He brings a wealth of experiences that include a memorable 2005 war with Miguel Cotto and decision losses to Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Rene Maidana.
In the co-featured bout, interim WBA junior flyweight champion Juan Carlos Reveco (25-1, 15 KOs) vs. Miguel Tellez (19-13-1, 6 KOs) in a non-title 10-round flyweight bout.
Kevin Johnson issues heavy challenge
Former undefeated heavyweight Kevin “Kingpin” Johnson (23-1-1, 10 KOs) has issued a challenge to ‘ANY HEAVYWEIGHT’ to fight him on January 22.
Johnson, whose only defeat was a 12-round unanimous decision against WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko in December 2009, is scheduled to appear on the Evander Holyfield vs. Sherman Williams “Redemption” Pay-Per-View card.
“When I heard that I was going to be on the PPV undercard, I said, ‘great, get me the toughest opponent available,’” Johnson said in a statement. “Since then I was offered guys that nobody else wants to fight. I accepted a bout against Cedric Boswell, only to be turned down by him, then Oliver McCall was offered, but I heard he was hiding out and didn’t want to fight me.”
“Finally, I heard that Chauncy Welliver wanted to get on the show, but he said he’d rather swim back to New Zealand than fight me. Let me make something clear, this show is about redemption. And I am about redemption. I plan to earn my way back to a world title shot, and it starts with this show. “
“I want to be clear, I CHALLENGE ANY HEAVYWEIGHT ON PLANET EARTH TO BOX ME ON JANUARY 22. ANY HEAVYWEIGHT. Boswell, McCall, and Welliver, I would fight you all on the same night! Fortunately you got your wish and you don’t have to fight me. I pray that one of you changes your mind and agrees to fight me, or that some other heavyweight accepts the challenge, but I doubt it.”
Johnson, the 31 year-old from Atlanta, Georgia, has only fought once in the last year. Johnson knocked out an overmatched Charles Davis in the fourth round in October.
O’Shea Boxing returns to Yonkers PAL
On Friday, January 28, at the Yonkers PAL in Yonkers, NY, Brian O’Shea of the well-known O’Shea Brothers boxing will produce a 10-fight card featuring rising light-heavyweight contender Ronson Frank (15-0, 7 KOs).
Ronson, the younger brother of former welterweight title challenger, Raul Frank, will defend his New York State title against Anthony Ferrante (9-1, 4 KOs) of a Philadelphia.
Also on the card, undefeated middleweight prospect Bryant Pappas (12-0, 12KOs) looks to improve his perfect 100% knockout ratio. Pappas has 7 one-round KOs and has never fought past round four.
West African, Issouf Kinda (9-0, 4 KOs) is scheduled for a 6-round welterweight fight. Super middleweight Lennox Allen (13-0, 8 KOs) will appear in a six-round contest.
Cruiserweight Owen Rodway (1-0, 1 KO) looks to resume his career after remaining on the side lines since April 2010.
Travis Peterkin begins 2011 with pro debut
Also, the Yonkers PAL show will be the setting for the professional boxing debut of 2010 New York City Golden Gloves 165-pound open champion, Travis Peterkin of Brownsville, Brooklyn, NY. Peterkin, also 2009 Washington. D.C. regional Golden Gloves titlist, has had more than 100 amateur bouts to his credit.
The 20 year-old southpaw is 6-feet-2 and isn’t afraid to abandon his height and reach advantages to move inside and fight his opponents.
As an amateur, Peterkin has grown accustomed fighting underneath and headgear and 12-ounce gloves. As a professional he will be looking forward to fighting without headgear and 10 ounce gloves for the first time.
Peterkin, trained and managed by his father Bernard, a longtime boxing trainer out of the Kingsway Boxing Club in New York City, will tackle with Edgar Sanjurjo (2-1).
Tickets are available by calling 914-216-9381 or 914-618-1584.
The Yonkers PAL is located at 127 North Broadway, Yonkers, N.Y. 10701.