SAVED FROM SHAQTIN’ By Arthur George-Special to BASN JaVale McGee is reclaiming...
Boxing Notebook: L.A. Confidential
Normal 0NEW YORK (BASN) — Saul Alvarez (33-0-1, 25 KOs) is one of the rising prospects in the junior middleweight division.
The unbeaten Golden Boy Promotions fighter is a 20-year-old Mexican native and will be featured on the “Celebrate and Dominate: Mosley vs. Mora” pay-per-view against former welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir (45-12-6, 14 KOs).
The event will occur on Saturday, September 18, from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles and will be distributed on HBO Pay-Per-View at a suggested retail of $44.95.
“This fight against Carlos Baldomir with SaÃºl “Canelo” Ãlvarez, obviously, we expect a war,” said the head of Golden Boy Promotions, Oscar De La Hoya. “We expect a fight that is going to be a tremendous, tremendous fight.”
That’s one thing about Alvarez is that he is a very good boxer that uses good defensive skills and he can punch. Alvarez has been fighting professionally since he was 15 years old.The 20 year-old Mexican already has 33 professional contests and has KO’d a ton of guys with winning records. However, the knockout is just part of his game.
“Yes, I have a lot of knockouts on my ledger,” Alvarez said recently. “But I don’t look for the knockouts. I’m prepared to go the ten rounds. Obviously, if the knockout presents itself I’m going to go for it.”
A victory over Baldomir, a former 147-pound champion, will propel Alvarez closer toward a world title fight. It won’t be easy as Baldomir carries a wealth of experience as he has fought Floyd Mayweather, Vernon Forrest, Arturo Gatti, and Zab Judah.
Baldomir will be ready. “He doesn’t present a problem,” Baldomir said. “I don’t think I’m going to see anything that I haven’t seen before. I’ve fought bigger, better fighters than him.”
“I think he’s a novice. He’s won all of his fights in Mexico. He hasn’t really fought anybody. I think he’s good, but I think I’m a lot better than him and I’m going to win on September 18th.”
“200 Celebrate and Dominate: Mosley vs. Mora” will feature the return of Sugar Shane Mosley vs. Sergio Mora a junior middleweight main event. Also, Victor Ortiz vs. Vivian Harris in a junior welterweight bout, and Daniel Ponce De Leon challenges Antonio Escalante in a featherweight title eliminator.
Tickets, priced at $200, $125, $75 and $20, are on sale at ticketmaster.com, via Ticketmaster charge-by-phone lines at (800)745-3000, as well as, the STAPLES Center box office.Wladimir Klitschko returns
Unified IBF/WBO and unrecognized IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (54-3, 38 KOs) returns on Saturday in front of an expected crowd of 55,000 at Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt, Germany.
Klitschko, making the ninth defense of his championships, defends against Samuel Peter (34-3, 27 KOs) in a rematch of their 2005 clash.
In September 2005, Klitschko fought Peter to become the IBF’s No. 1-ranked contender. It was not an easy fight, as Klitschko tasted the canvas three times. However, Peter was thoroughly out-boxed and lost a close unanimous decision on all three scorecards 114-111.
Since then Klitschko has become the universally recognized best heavyweight in the world. He has reigned as heavyweight champion for almost five years. Meanwhile, Peter has had ups and downs from winning the WBC heavyweight title and losing it in only his second defense in 2008.
Peter appears to be on a roll, as he has won has last fought fights by knockout.
He’s the last fighter to have knocked Wladimir to the canvas. Peter has a puncher’s chance to spring a huge upset, but make no mistake. The 6-foot-7, 245-pound champion is ready and will find away to stop Peter inside the distance.
Klitschko vs. Peter 2can be seen live in the United States on all ESPN outlets.
Check your local listings.WBC anoints Chavez, Jr.
The son of the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez is making such a name for himself. The young 24 year-old he has impressed the World Boxing Council well-enough to earn their highest ranking.
Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. (40-0-1, 30 KOs) has been named the next official No. 1-ranked contender to challenge WBC middleweight champion Sergio “The Marvel” Martinez.
However, both fighters have bouts already scheduled this fall and there is no guarantee that the two will even meet in the ring. Martinez appears to be headed toward a fight Paul Williams in a rematch of their blockbuster 2009 clash.
Williams was awarded a close majority-decision last December.
Chavez, Jr., however, has a potential title bout against WBA super welterweight champion Miguel Cotto on Saturday, December 4. Chavez, Jr., and Cotto are both promoted by Bob Arum’s Top Rank and the bout appears to be easy to make.Hopkins agrees to Pascal fight
Fresh off his scintillating technical decision victory against Chad Dawson at the Bell Centre in Montreal last month, WBC light-heavyweight champion Jean Pascal is wasting no time returning to the ring.
Pascal (26-1, 16 KOs), making the fourth defense of his title, has apparently agreed to fight 45-year-old Bernard Hopkins (51-5-1, 32 KOs). The bout will occur on Saturday, December 18 in Pascal’s native Canada.
Although Hopkins will turn 46 on January 15, 2011, he has made a career of proving people wrong as the ultimate-live underdog.
Hopkins shocked the world in September 2001 when he knocked out Felix Trinidad in the 12th round at Madison Square Garden to become the first Undisputed World Middleweight Champion since Marvelous Marvin Hagler.
Hopkins would upset the apple-cart once more by moving up to light-heavyweight to defeat Antonio Tarver in 2006. In 2008, Hopkins became the closest to ever defeat Joe Calzaghe in what was a debated split-decision loss before dropping down to 166 pounds to put a dent in the Kelly Pavlik express.
In his recent bout in April, Hopkins avenged his 1993 loss to Roy Jones by simply beating him up through twelve rounds.
Pascal is on a nice run, but the young 27 year-old has never fought anyone as crafty and as conditioned as Hopkins. It should be a very intriguing contest and perhaps the toughest of Pascal’s career.
Boxing promoter Bob Arum loses son
Top Rank chief Bob Arum left the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito press tour in search of his 49-year-old son, environmental attorney John Arum after he was reported missing last Monday.
The search tragically ended last Friday when John’s body was found along the trail of an 8,500 ft. Storm King Mountain in the North Cascades National Park approximately 80 miles off Seattle, Washington.
The Arum family released the following statement:
The family of John Arum would like to express its heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has shared their concern with us during this tragic time.
John was a very special person. A wonderful husband, son, brother and friend, John meant so much, to so many. He was so loved and we miss him already.
First, we would like to thank the National Park Service, Chelan Mountain Rescue, Stehekin Community and the King County Sheriff’s Office for its tireless efforts in conducting aerial and ground searches over steep and difficult terrain throughout the week.
They refused to give up on their search for John despite the conditions and they were a constant source of comfort and information to us. Their dedication to their mission was awe-inspiring and we will remember them for that forever.
And to everyone from around the world who has reached out to us with prayers and messages of support, please know you have helped sustain us during this most difficult time.
You have touched our souls.