Following a defiant seventh-round knockout of previously unbeaten Jose Pedraza (22-1, 12...
Another detailed recap from Cali
Normal 0NEW YORK (BASN) — “200 Celebrate and Dominate: Mosley vs. Mora” was an HBO Pay-Per-View event that occurred during the weekend of Mexican Independence Day.
While the main event featured a disappointing 12-round split-draw between former world champions Sugar Shane Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) and Sergio Mora (22-1-1, 6 KOs) at the STAPLES Center last Saturday, there were a couple of fighters on that undercard that really made a solid impression.
Unbeaten super welterweight prospect Saul Alvarez (34-0-1, 26 KOs) took a big step up when he knocked out iron-chinned Carlos Baldomir (45-13-6, 14 KOs) in the sixth round.
Baldomir is a former world welterweight champion.
He defeated the likes of Zab Judah and Arturo Gatti, but lost to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and the late Vernon Forrest.
Alvarez, a 20 year-old, Juanacatlan, Mexican, isn’t just any Mexican fighter. Alvarez moves around the ring very well behind his left jab.
He boxes, slips punches, uses distance, and is very calculated with his attack as proven against Baldomir.
Did I mention that Alvarez can punch hard too?
“I told you guys I was going to come with experience,” Alvarez said afterwards. “I didn’t talk very much. I just showed you. I was prepared for the distance. Sometimes the knockout comes when you prepare for it, and I did it.”Alvarez’ performance against Baldomir was impressive. In fact, Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions extended their promotional relationship with the young fighter to a multi-year pact.
“If anyone wasn’t convinced that ‘Canelo’ Alvarez is a future World Champion, they have to be believers now,” said Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions.
“At just 20 years old, he knocked out a tough former World Champion who had only been knocked out one time in 64 fights and that was 16 years ago. He is going to be a star in this sport for a long time, and we’re proud to have him on our team.”
Alvarez is equally enthused.
“I’m happy with my performance against Baldomir and to re-sign with Golden Boy Promotions,” Alvarez said. “Getting to this point in my career has been a team effort, and with the people I have around me, I’m confident that the next step will be a World Championship.”
What was most impressive about Alvarez’ performance was the fact that he boxed Baldomir so carefully before suddenly hurting the former champion with a straight-right in the sixth round.
Suddenly, Alvarez is applying more pressure behind left and right hooks before dropping Baldomir with a single left hook to the chin. He couldn’t beat the count – knockout! “It is true that he hits hard,” Baldomir said afterwards. “I was surprised by his power.”Victor Ortiz proves his Star, Power
Another fighter that continues to capture the eye of boxing fans is Victor Ortiz. In another big spot fighting on HBO Pay-Per-View, Ortiz (28-2-1, 22 KOs) delivered another action-packed performance by knocking out former 140-pound champion Vivian Harris (29-5-1, 19 KOs) in the third round.
Ortiz is truly going to be one of boxing’s next big stars. “The fans either love me or they hate me, but hopefully they love me now,” Ortiz said.
Heading into the contest, both Ortiz and Harris shared the nickname “Vicious.” However, only one fighter (at least by this writer) will be referred to as “Vicious” and that is Ortiz.
“I sensed his bluff at the weigh in and I called him out on it,” Ortiz added.
The young 23 year-old Californian of Mexican decent proved his “Vicious” punching power and relentless aggression by flooring Harris three times in the second round.
The first knockdown was off a double-left hook to the chin. Ortiz dropped Harris again with a left hook to the head again. Ortiz, for a third time, seated Harris behind a left hook to the chin.
In Nevada, there is no three-knockdown rule. Meaning, a fight cannot end after a fighter has been dropped three times in one round. As long as Harris returned to his feet, which he did to his credit, the fight continues.
The bout ended in the third round after Ortiz floored Harris for the fourth time in the bout after landing a right hook to the temple.
Appearing in his fourth bout since his scintillating and mouthwatering slugfest against Marco Rene Maidana in June 2009, Ortiz notched his fourth consecutive win. Ortiz wants Maidana in rematch.
A fight both fighter exchanged multiple knockdowns before Maidana wickedly stopped Ortiz in round six to claim the interim WBA junior welterweight title.
“I have progressed and learned a lot since the fight with Maidana,” Ortiz added. “I still want him wherever he is. I want a shot at a world championship. I am not dodging anyone. I am ready for anyone.”
Maidana has signed to face WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan on December 11, in Las Vegas. Ortiz may (or may not) get the winner, but he is expected to appear on the undercard.The comeback continues for De Leon
When Daniel Ponce De Leon suffered a humiliating first-round stoppage at the hands of Juan Manuel Lopez in June 2008, not only did he lose the WBO super bantamweight title, it was the first time the 30 year-old Mexican had ever been ever knocked out.
However, De Leon (40-2, 33 KOs) has won his last six fights and has positioned himself for a WBO featherweight title shot having KO’d 2004 U.S. Olympian Antonio Escalante (23-3, 15 KOs) in the third round.
“I feel really good,” De Leon said. “I felt out of distance and my timing was off, but I loosened up and got into my groove. I didn’t feel his punch at all. I want a world title shot again and I want to be champion again.”
PHOTO CREDIT: Tom Hogan – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions