A Very American Coup By Michael – Louis Ingram, Editor-in-Chief...
Another Houston Sports Notebook
HOUSTON — A brief look at some of the most recent news and notes involving area and national sports figures.
– Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young will host his 2nd Annual Football and Cheerleader Camp on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Butler Stadium. All campers are invited to attend the Second Annual Vince Young Celebrity Basketball game directly following the camp. The celebrity basketball game will feature Vince Young’s NFL All-Stars vs. Nelly and the Lunatics at Butler Fieldhouse.
– The Vince Young Foundation will host a Gala on Saturday night at the Hilton of the Americas Hotel at 7:00 p.m. This first annual gala that is being held in Houston will honor community leaders Jim and Linda McIngvale. Tickets are $150 per person or $2,500 per table. The weekend will conclude on Sunday with the Vince Young Community Unity Day. This will be a day for the entire family that will be held from 2-6 p.m. at Butler Stadium. There will be free food, drinks, music, entertainment, and games for the kids. For further information, please log on to www.10vinceyoung.com.
– The Houston Dynamo are offering a Ticket Sales Fundraising Program for all non-profits in the Greater Houston area. The charity that raises the most money throughout the year will be honored on the field at their October 4th game. For every $15.00 ticket sold, $5.00 will go towards your charity. The four game schedule includes: May 23rd, June 10, July 25th, and August 23rd. For further information, contact Lori Stutt, Director of Dynamo Charities at 713-276-7574.
– The Donald Driver Foundation will host his 7th Annnual Celebrity Weekend , June 19-20, 2009 in Houston. Due to scheduling conflicts, there will be no football camp held in the city this summer; however, the Donald Driver Golf Classic will take place at Sienna Plantation Golf Club in Missouri City, Texas on Friday, June 19, 2009. The 9-Ball Pool Classic will follow on Saturday, June 20th at Slick Willie’s Family Pool Hall, located at 3985 Southwest Freeway. For further information contact the foundation at 713-225-9400 or you may email them at email@example.com.
– The Houston Texans Schedule for 2009 has been released. All home games are listed as follows: (Preseason) Saturday, August 22nd New Orleans Saints at 7:00 p.m., Monday, August 31st vs. Minnesota Vikings at 7:00 p.m. And during the regular season the Texans will open up at home against the New York Jets on Sunday, September 13th at noon.
Other games include: Sunday, September 27th vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, Sunday, October 4th vs. Oakland Raiders, Sunday, October 25th vs. San Francisco 49ers, Monday Night game vs. the Tennessee Titans, Sunday, November 29th vs. Indianapolis Colts, Sunday, December 13th vs. Seattle Seahawks, and Sunday, January 3rd vs. New England Patriots.
– Rice’s Christoph Muller, Bruno Rosa and Tobias Scheil have been named to the 2009 All-Conference USA men’s tennis teams as selected by the league’s eight head coaches. Muller and Rosa were named to the first team in singles, while Scheil was named to the second team. Muller and Scheil were also named to the All C-USA Doubles team.
– Muller is a three-time, first team selection, who finished the regular season with a 16-6 record in singles including a 12-2 mark at No. 2. He is ranked 51st in the nation heading into NCAA action. Rosa, who earned first-team honors last season, closed out the regular season with a 13-11 mark in singles and is currently ranked 46th in the country. this is Scheil’s first appearance on the All C-USA singles team and his second year as member of the doubles team.
– The 2009 Prairie View Football home schedule is as follows: Saturday, September 5th Labor Day Classic vs. Texas Southern at Reliant Stadium, Saturday, October 17th vs. Mississippi Valley State, Saturday, November 7th vs. Alabama A & M, and Saturday, November 21st vs. Arkansas Pine-Bluff.
– The Cory Redding/Andre Gurode Football Camp will take place on Saturday, June 13th at Galena Park ISD Stadium. Cost for the camp is $25.00. For further information contact the school district or Toni Smith at TSU football office.
– The University of St. Thomas will host a volleyball camp, July 20-24, 2009 on the campus from 9:00 a.m.-12 noon. The camp is for kids entering grades 6th-8th and the cost is $50.00. Each camper will receive a 2009 Camp t-shirt, certificate of camp participation, awards for special performances, and other goodies. Please register under www.stthom.edu/campus/UST volleyball.
– The McDonald’s Corporation announced that Columbus, Ohio will host the 2010 McDonald’s All American High School Basketball games March 31, 2010 at Value City Arena, home of the Ohio State University basketball teams. The McDonald’s All American games are recognized as the premier showcase for the top high school basketball talent in the country.
A total of 24 boys and girls are selected from more than 2,500 nominees.Other events planned include: team visit to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio, Powerade Jam Jest: Slam Dunk, skills and 3-point competitions, fundraising event for the community, and the All-American games.
– Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear has agreed to a multiyear contract extension. The extension will mark the third one in four seasons for Kinnear, the 2005 MLS Coach of the Year who led the Dynamo to back-to-back league titles in 2006-2007. Kinnear, 41, is 67-37-55 in six seasons with the Earthquakes and the Dynamo.
– Former Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez was acquired by the Atlanta Falcons. The Pro Bowl tight end caught 96 passes for 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2008. He owns NFL career records for tight ends with 916 receptions, 10,940 yards receiving and 76 touchdowns.
– Houston native and former Kingwood High School star Josh Pastner has been hired as the head men’s basketball coach at the University of Memphis. The 31-year old replaces John Calipari who left the Tigers to become the head coach at the University of Kentucky. Pastner will bring on board former Rice Owls head coach Willis Wilson as an assistant coach.
– Subway has signed former Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree as spokesman for its annual Freshbuzz promotion.
– Houston Rockets Dikembe Mutombo was named the winner of the 2008-2009 J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award. The award is named for the second commissioner of the league and honors an NBA player or coach for outstanding service and dedication to the community. Mutombo, in his 18th NBA season becomes the first two-time winner of the award since it was presented in 1975.