By Anthony McClean, Editor In Chief Emeritus NEW HAVEN (BASN) —...
Saturday’s Houston Sports Notebook
HOUSTON — A brief look at some of the most recent news and notes involving area and national sports figures.
– The University of Houston Men’s Basketball team is giving away free tickets for groups of 10 or more to the final four upcoming Saturday night basketball games. The four-game Saturday night schedule includes the following dates: February 7th vs. Rice at 8:00 p.m., February 14th vs. Tulane at 7:00 p.m., February 21st vs. UCF at 7:00 p.m., and March 7th vs. SMU at 7:00 p.m. You must be a part of a youth group or organization. For further information contact Sean Randall, Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing and Promotions at 713-743-9453.
– Five Rice Owls football players were named to the postseason edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football All-Texas College team, while the Owls were ranked 25th in the magazine’s final college football rankings for 2008.
Jarett Dillard and James Casey were each named to the first team offense, while Chase Clement and David Berken were named to the second team. Andrew Sendejo was named to the second-team defensive squad. The Owls four selection on offense tied Texas and Texas Tech for the most selections on the team.
– The 2009 Parade All-American Football Team is led by 10 players from the state of Texas. Headlined by Player of the Year Garrett Gilbert of Lake Travis and Cypress Ridge quarterback Russell Shepard, 10 players from Texas were selected for the Parade Magazine All-America High School Football Team. Gilbert, who committed to play at Texas in the fall, quarterbacked the Cavs to a 48-23 victory in the Division I 4A final against Longview.
Cypress Ridge’s Shepard threw for 1,850 yards and 20 scores while rushing for 1,962 yards and 29 touchdowns. He is presently attending his first semester of classes at LSU. Tyrik Rollison of Sulphur Springs was the third Texas quarterback chosen for the team. Other Texas players who made the squad were: Kendial Lawrence-Rockwell-Heath High School/running back; receiver A.J. Dugat-Dayton High School; lineman Jamarkus McFarland-Lufkin, Mason Walters-Frenship and Alex Okafor-Pflugerville; linebacker Chris Williams-Abilene and defensive back Craig Loston-Eisenhower.
– The TSU Lady Tigers women’s basketball team have several upcoming dates on the calendar. Calling all kids to be a part of the “Roughton-Broughton Kidz Zone”. Kidz Zone activities will be available prior to every home game including half-time for all kids under 10 years old. February will be a busy month as they will honor the past winning weekend, spotlighting all former players from TSU, “Pink Zone” and “Take a Kid to the Game”. Staff & Faculty Appreciation Day will take place vs. MVSU, “Bridging Mother’s Working” BMW, Senior Night & Season Card Holders Appreciation Day will take place on March 7th vs. Southern. For further information contact Tameka at 713-313-1951.
– National High School Football Signing Day will take place on Wednesday, February 4th. The following Greater Houston Area players will be spotlighted that day. The list includes: Cy Ridge quarterback Russell Shepard-LSU, Friendswood quarterback Jacob Karam-Texas Tech, Dayton quarterback Cody Green-Nebraska, Woodlands quarterback Andy McCloud-UTEP, Beaumont Westbrook running back Christine Michael-Texas A & M,FB Marshall running back Knile Davis-Arkansas,Westbury running back Charles Sims-Houston, Navasota running back Dexter Pratt-LSU, Cypress Ridge running back Hasan Lipscomb-Minnesota, Eisenhower receiver Greg Timmons-Texas,Navasota receiver Brandall Jackson-Texas A & M, Eisenhower receiver Jaz Reynolds-Oklahoma, Dayton receiver A.J. Dugat-Houston, North Shore tight end Barrett Matthews-Texas, Klein Oak tight end Jordan Najvar and others.