A Very American Coup By Michael – Louis Ingram, Editor-in-Chief...
Houston prepares for preseason opener
HOUSTON — The Houston Texans are preparing to face the Denver Broncos in their first preseason game on Saturday at Reliant Stadium. This will be a homecoming for two players who have strong ties to the city of Houston.
Former Texas Longhorns running back Selvin Young will be in his second year, and former Houston Cougars athlete, Anthony Aldridge will be making his first appearance in a uniform other than Cougars Red.
IN OTHER NEWS
– The Texans are watching the progress of starting Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson who suffered a groin injury in practice last week. Johnson, who is getting treatment for the injury , may sit out against the Broncos.
– Former Tennessee Titans running back Chris Brown is hoping to be back in the lineup soon. Brown has missed several practices due to back spasms. Hopefully Brown won’t be the next Keenan McCardell for the Texans.
McCardell, who came to the Texans from the San Diego Chargers last season got injured in training camp and never came back at full speed and was cut.
– The Texans rookies got to take a visit to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The players were in awe. Former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin came up with the idea to have every NFL rookie visit Canton. Not only did the Texans send their draft choices, they also sent the undrafted free agents they signed.
– Houston only has one kicker and one punter going into the preseason. Veteran Kris Brown, who made it to his first Pro Bowl last season, is the kicker and Matt Turk is the punter/holder.
– The Texans players practiced without shoulder pads during a night practice in which the fans got to watch. Afterwards the players hit various spots on the entire field and signed autographs for all of the fans in attendance. There were quite a few smiles on all of the kids faces.
– After their first preseason game against Denver, the Texans will travel to New Orleans and Dallas on August 16th and 22nd to face the Saints and Cowboys. The team will make their first round of cuts on August 26th to trim the roster to 75.
– They will play their last preseason game at home as they host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday, August 28th at 7 p.m.CT. Final roster cuts will be made on August 30th. The roster will be at 53.
– The team will host their annual Texans Team Luncheon on Tuesday, August 26th from 12 noon-1:30 p.m. CT at the Westin Galleria. All Texans players are scheduled to appear as well as Bob McNair, General Manager Rick Smith, Head Coach Gary Kubiak, and the entire coaching staff, Toro and the Texans Cheerleaders. Individual tickets are $100.00.
– On Tuesday, September 9th, The Texans will host the Pancakes and Pigskins Rookie Breakfast at the Verizon Wireless West Club at Reliant Stadium from 7:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m. CT. Individual tickets are $65.00. For further information, contact Risa Hall at 832-667-2144.