A Very American Coup By Michael – Louis Ingram, Editor-in-Chief...
Southern Hands Texas Southern Its Ninth Loss Of The Season
HOUSTON — The Southern University Jaguars led by quarterback Bryant Lee handed the Texas Southern University Tigers their ninth loss of the season with a 56-7 trouncing before 9,000 fans at Reliant Stadium.
Lee, who passed for 248 yards and four touchdowns, and ran for 40 yards and two scores, was named SWAC’s Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.
The Jaguars opened the game with an 80 yard touchdown pass from Lee to Del Roberts to take a 7-0 lead in the first quarter. Lee threw for 123 yards and Roberts had two receptions for 123 yards in the first quarter alone.
Texas Southern remained scoreless in the first quarter possessing only 57 yards of total offense, including (-9) yards rushing.
Southern added three more touchdowns in the second quarter as Alvin Fossilman and Nick Benjamin added scoring runs of 1 and 37 yards. Receiver RoShon Jacobs connected on his second touchdown pass of the game from Lee to increase the Jaguars lead.
The Tigers only score came with 5:52 left in the period as running back Jacob Bell scored on a six-yard run.
Southern took a 34-7 lead into the locker room and never looked back. Albert Turner took the opening kickoff of the second-half and ran it 70 yards to the 17. Lee capitalized on the next play scoring on a 17-yard quarterback keeper.
Darren Coates added a 11 yard touchdown pass from Lee and Lee then added another run of 4 yards to go up 54-7. The Jaguars last points came from a blocked TSU punt that went out of bounds for a safety, with 14:52 left early in the fourth quarter.
– TSU has been outscored 113-16 in their last two games.
– Coach Steve Wilson, who is looking for his first win of the 2007 season is 4-38 in four years.
//<![CDATA[ *Southern held TSU to (-16) yards rushing in the game.u003cbr />*TSU beat Southern in time of possession with 25:27.u003cbr />*TSU had 8 kickoff returns for 115 yards.u003cbr />*TSU quarterback Cornelius Harmon completed 20 of 36u003cbr />passes for 174 yards.u003cbr />*Southern has 11 players from the state of Texas. Nineu003cbr />of them are from the Greater Houston area.u003cbr />*With about four minutes left to go in the game,u003cbr />Southern University’s band started a spiritual battleu003cbr />with TSU’s Ocean of Soul Band. The Jaguars received au003cbr />standing ovation throughout the stadium after playingu003cbr />and singing "Total Praise".u003cbr />*TSU countered by playing "Jesus is my help". Southernu003cbr />then came back and played "Call him Up".u003cbr />u003cbr />*RAY HAS ACTION SHOTS OF GAMEu003cbr />u003cbr />u003cbr />u003cbr />u003c/div>”,0] ); D(["ce"]); //–> //]]> – Southern produced 426 yards of total offense and held TSU to (-16) yards rushing in the game.
– TSU beat Southern in time of possession with 25:27.
– TSU had 8 kickoff returns for 115 yards.
– TSU quarterback Cornelius Harmon completed 20 of 36 passes for 174 yards.
– Southern has 11 players from the state of Texas. Nine of them are from the Greater Houston area.
– With about four minutes left to go in the game, Southern University’s band started a spiritual battle with TSU’s Ocean of Soul Band. The Jaguars received a standing ovation throughout the stadium after playing and singing “Total Praise”.
– TSU countered by playing “Jesus is my help”. Southern then came back and played “Call him Up”.