Sean Taylor: 1983-2007

By Carla Peay
Updated: November 27, 2007

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died early Tuesday morning after a shooting in his Miami home late Monday evening. According to police reports, Taylor was asleep in his home when intruders entered the home during a possible robbery attempt.

Taylor’s attorney Richard Sharpstein provided much of the information released to the media regarding the tragedy. According to Sharpstein, Taylor, his fiancé, and their 18 month old daughter were asleep in their home when they were awakened by noises in the house.

Taylor reached for a machete he kept in the bedroom.

Taylor then apparently locked the bedroom door, but the intruder kicked in the door and fired twice, the second bullet hitting Taylor in the upper leg, shattering the femoral artery and causing a massive blood loss. Neither Taylor’s fiancé nor daughter was injured in the attack.

According to police, Taylor’s fiancé called 911 from her cell phone, as the home phone lines had been cut, and Taylor was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he underwent seven hours of surgery.

The news of his condition seemed encouraging when Taylor appeared to respond to a doctor’s command to squeeze his hand, and also briefly made facial expressions late Monday night.

Taylor died early Tuesday morning.

“This is the worst imaginable tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with Sean’s family,” said Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder in a statement posted on the team’s web site. According to Snyder’s statement, Taylor’s family notified the Redskin’s players that Taylor had died.

Taylor’s death comes as particularly tragic news to his family, friends, teammates, and fans, as the Pro Bowl player seemed on the verge of turning his life around after some initially troubling years in the NFL, many say due to the birth of his daughter.

“It’s hard to expect a man to grow up overnight, but ever since he had this child it was like a new Sean. And everybody around here knew it,” said Redskins running back Clinton Portis on Monday afternoon, before flying to Miami with Snyder and other team officials. “He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child.”