A Very American Coup By Michael – Louis Ingram, Editor-in-Chief...
MLB’s Policy On Upcoming Steroid Testing
NEW YORK, NY ——* Any and all anabolic androgenic steroids covered by Schedule III of the Code of Federal Regulations’ Schedule of Controlled Substances are prohibited.
* In 2003, 1,438 anonymous, unannounced tests for steroid use were conducted by MLB. The number of positive tests was between 5 percent and 7 percent, exceeding the threshold in the basic agreement for the institution of program testing.
* Under program testing, all players, starting March 2, 2004, will be subject to the same testing as occurred in the survey on a random basis, only this time the identity of those tested will be known, and positive test results could lead to discipline, including suspension of the offending player.
* First positive test results in player placed on the clinical treatment track.
* Second positive test results in a 15-day suspension or up to a $10,000 fine.
* Third positive test results in a 25-day suspension or up to a $25,000 fine.
* Fourth positive test results in a 50-day suspension or up to a $50,000 fine.
* Fifth positive test results in a one-year suspension or up to a $100,000 fine.
All suspensions shall be without pay.
Source: Major League Baseball.