By Anthony McClean, Editor In Chief Emeritus NEW HAVEN (BASN) —...
BASN’s Women’s Preseason Basketball Top 10
By Richard Kent
Updated: October 16, 2007
CONNECTICUT – Here’s a look at BASN’s Women’s preseason Division I basketball poll for the upcoming 2007-08 season.
1. UConn: The Huskies return all starters from last year and bring in super frosh Maya Moore. They have the best coach in the nation. They will be tough to stop.
2. LSU: Sylvia Fowles. Need we say more?
3. Rutgers: The Scarlet Knights return all five starters from the national runner-up team of last season. They are led by All-American candidates Matee Ajavon, Essence Carson and Kia Vaughn. This should be a another banner year for Rutgers.
4. Tennessee: They won the National Championship last year and have Candace Parker back. She is the best player in the nation.
5. Maryland: They have all their starters back and they are led by Crystal Langhorne. They won the title in 2006 but fizzled last year. Which team will come out to play this year?
6. Stanford: How can a team with the likes of Candice Wiggins, Jayne Appel and Jillian Harmon be half bad. They return most of their starters from a 29-5 team. They will contend.
7. Duke: Yes, they have a new coach, but they also have Abby Waner back. She started all 34 games last season. They should certainly win the ACC.
8. North Carolina: The Tar Heels have senior forward Erlana Larkins back. She was an All-American last year. She led the team in rebounding with 9.4 rpg.
9. Georgia: Andy Landers is one of the top coaches in the nation and he returns many starters from an underachieving team last year.
10. Texas: Gail Goestenkors takes over the reigns at Texas. The Longhorns are coming off an 18-14 season which included a highly disappointing 6-10 Big 12 mark. Earnesia Williams is a top player at the junior position. She was second in scoring for the team last year.