Following a defiant seventh-round knockout of previously unbeaten Jose Pedraza (22-1, 12...
BASN Training Camp Questions: The NFC
- How will the team survive the distractions related to the release of enigmatic DT Tank Johnson?
- Can the Bears avoid the Super Bowl loser problems (Injuries, Karma, Defections, Infighting, etc)?
- Is Cedric Benson ready to assume the role as the featured back?
- How will the team handle the possible holdout of franchised player LB Lance Briggs and when will he report?
- Will Rex Grossman find the consistency needed to be a championship level quarterback (23 TDs and 20 INTs) and will Lovie Smith stick Rex Grossman throughout the season?
- Can second year Head Coach Rod Marinelli finally get this team back to the playoffs?
- How is the rehab and recovery of franchise RB Kevin Jones (foot) going?
- Are there enough balls for everyone including 2007 1st Rd pick Calvin Johnson?
- Will QB Jon Kitna live up to his big expectations from playing O-Coordinator Mike Martz’s offense (Predicted he would throw 50 TDs)?
- Will GM Matt Millen survive after this season (three coaches, no playoffs, and an overall 24-72 record)?
Green Bay Packers
- Will this be the year that Brett Favre finally says goodbye to the NFL or will he stick around after the good feelings from a four-game winning streak at the end of 2006?
- Will any of the WRs including 2006 2nd Rd Pick WR Greg Jennings step up and take some pressure off of QB Favre?
- With RB Ahmad Green going to the Houston Texans, Who will be the featured RB for the Packers (Morency, Heron, or 2nd Rd Draftee Brandon Jackson)?
- Will the defense be better with the maturing of AJ Hawk and the addition of 2007 1st Rd pick Justin Harrell (Allowed 27 ppg in 2007)?
- Can the Packers young O-Line continue to protect the 38 year old Favre (237 Consecutive Starts)?
- Can QB Tavaris Jackson live up to the expectations of being a full time starter in 2007or should the Vikings have a plan B?
- Will RB Adrian Peterson live up to the hype of being the first RB selected in the 2007 Draft?
- Will owner Zygi Wilff get the new stadium he is seeking or are the Vikings moving?
- Will any of the WRs including 2005 1st Rd Pick WR Troy Williamson step up and take some pressure off of QB Jackson?
- Will any of the high draft picks on defense step up (DE Udeze, DE James, MLB Henderson, OLB Greenway, DB Griffin and others)?
- How will the Cowboys adjust to the loss of disciplinarian former Head Coach Bill Parcells and the addition of “player’s coach” Wade Phillips?
- Can Tony Romo repeat his magic from 2006 in basically his 2nd season in the NFL?
- Will Terrell Owens make through his second season in Dallas and will he continue to make “big plays”, but still drop some routine passes?
- Are some of the Cowboys core too old (WR Owens, WR Glenn, LT Adams, OLB Ellis)?
- Will the secondary improve on their coverage from 2006, especially the safeties?
New York Giants
- Will Head Coach Tom Couglin survive another 8-8 season or is the handwriting on the wall?
- How will the offense replace Tiki Barber and his over 2,000 yards of offense including 1,600 yards rushing?
- Is Eli Manning ready to be the quarterback the Giants thought they traded for in 2004?
- Will the secondary improve on their coverage from 2006, especially the CB’s?
- Will there be harmony in the Giants locker room (Strahan, Burress, Shockey, Pierce)?
- Is Donovan McNabb healthy and what will happen if he is injured for the fourth time in six years and will they regret not bringing back Jeff Garcia?
- Will Andy Reid let Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg continue to run the football?
- Are core players FS Brian Dawkins, LT William Thomas, DE Jevon Kearse, MLB Jeremiah Trotter too old?
- After letting WR Donte Stallworth leave, can 3rd year WR Reggie Brown take the next step up becoming the Eagles go-to guy?
- Can 2nd year players DT Bunkely, OLB Gcong, WR/KR Bloom, and OT Justice make an impact, especially first round pick Bunkley (nine tackles)?
- Does Joe Gibbs still have the fire in his belly for another NFL season?
- Will Jason Campbell continue his maturation and become the leader of the Redskins?
- Can 2006′s high priced pickups (WR Randle El, WR Lloyd, DE Carter and others) live up to their expectations?
- Can the Defensive Line improve on a franchise low 19 sacks?
- How will the ‘Skins share the rushing workload between 1,000 yard RBs Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts?
- How will the team survive the distractions related to the on-going Michael Vick dog fighting investigation and case? If Vick can’t play who starts: Harrington, DJ Shockley, or a free agent.
- Will new Head Coach Bobby Petrino establish his program and lead the Falcons back to the playoffs in spite of the Vick situation and being a college coach?
- Can older Falcons Gandy, Milloy, Dunn, Horn, and Jackson still produce at a high level?
- How will they replace DE Patrick Kerney’s sack production (Draftee Anderson or the often injured Abraham)?
- Are they going to regret trading QB Matt Schaub to the Texans?
- Is Jake Delhomme ready to play and what will happen if he is ineffective (David Carr in wings)?
- Are core players FS Mike Minter, DT Kris Jenkins, DE Mike Rucker, and MLB Dan Morgan too old?
- After cutting WR Keyshawn Johnson, can 2007 2nd Rd pick WR Dwayne Jarrett, WR Keary Colbert, WR Drew Carter, or someone else step to help Pro Bowl WR Steve Smith?
- Is this the last year for Head Coach John Fox and is Bill Cowher waiting in the wings?
- Now that Colts DE Dwight Freeney (six years, $72 million, $30 million guaranteed) got a huge contract, will Panthers star DE Julius Peppers be looking for a similar deal?
New Orleans Saints
- With a more difficult schedule in 2007 can the Saints repeat their 2006 success and can young Head Coach Sean Payton keep it up?
- Can Drew Brees stay healthy and produce MVP type numbers for the 2nd year in a row?
- Is Reggie Bush ready to have a breakout season in 2007 and will there be enough carries for Bush and McAllister?
- Now that Joe Horn has moved on to Atlanta, will Marques Colston continue his impromptu rise and become the Saints number No. 1 WR?
- Will the Saints overachieving “no-name” defense continue to excel in 2007 (Allowed 20 ppg in 2006)?
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Will John Gruden be staying or going after the season (Win in SB XXXVII is a distant memory)?
- How many QBs do the Buccaneers need (Garcia, Simms, Rattay, Plummer, Eugene, Gradkowski) and who is going to start?
- Can Cadillac Williams (5-foot-11, 204 lbs) stay healthy enough to withstand the pounding of being an every down RB (798 yards, 3.5 ypc, and 1 TD in 2006)?
- Which WR (Joey Galloway, Maurice Stovall, Michael Clayton, David Boston or others) will step up to assume the No. 1 position to help out the plethora of QBs?
- Are core players DE Simeon Rice, CB Rhonde Barber, OLB Derrick Brooks, CB Brian Kelly, and others too old?
- Can new Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt finally get this team back to the playoffs?
- How much does Edgerrin James have left at age 30 (Struggled last year with a 3.4 ypc)?
- Will draftee OT Levi Brown and acquisition C Al Johnson finally solidify the O-Line after disappointing Leonard Davis left for Dallas?
- Are the Cardinals too “Fantasy Football” based? Sure they have all the offensive weapons in the world, but they are too inconsistent.
- Will Matt Leinart live up to his great expectations in his 2nd Season?
San Francisco 49ers
- Are the 49ers really the Cinderella team for 2007 (Expectations similar to 2006 Saints and Jets)
- With all of the moves that the 49ers have made (CB Nate Clements, S Michael Lewis, WR Darrell Jackson, 1st Rd Pick LB Patrick Willis and others) are they as good as the Seahawks?
- After a solid season as a 1st year starter, is Alex Smith (2890 yards, 16 TDs and 16 INTs) ready to become an upper tier quarterback?
- Can the 49ers with their additions on defense improve an NFL worst 412 pts allowed (26 ppg)?
- Can Frank Gore stay healthy and have another season like 2006 (1,695 yards, 5.4 ypc, 8 TDs)?
- Was the Super Bowl appearance in 2005 the peak for this team and their Head Coach?
- After eight seasons in Seattle and being stripped of the GM duties, Is Head Coach Mike Holmgren on the Hot Seat with Paul Allen?
- At age 30 and with an injured foot how effective will former MVP RB Shaun Alexander be (896 yards, 3.6 ypc, and 7 TDs)?
- With all of the moves that the Seahawks have made in the last few years (WR Deion Branch, DE Patrick Kerney, S Deon Grant, LB Julian Peterson, and others) can they hold off the 49ers and Rams for the division?
- Will Matt Hasselbeck stay healthy and will Deion Branch become his No.1 WR living up to his trade value?
St. Louis Rams
- Will Marc Bulger holdout and if he doesn’t play, what is Plan B (Gus Frerotte, Ryan Fitzpatrick)?
- Are core players WR Isaac Bruce, OT Orlando Pace, WR Torry Holt, and DE Leonard Little still effective after playing on the Super Bowl team in 1999?
- Can Steven Jackson stay healthy and have another season like 2006 (1,528 yards, 4.4 ypc, 13 TDs, and 90 catches)?
- Can undersized 2007 1st Rd Draft pick DT Adam Carriker (290 pounds) make the switch to NT after playing DE in college?
- Can the Rams with their additions on defense from the draft improve on their bottom 5 rated unit (Allowed an average of 24 ppg)?