Following a defiant seventh-round knockout of previously unbeaten Jose Pedraza (22-1, 12...
Mosley Easily Beats Vargas At Crossroads
By Francis Walker
Updated: February 26, 2006
NEW YORK — Shane Mosley’s quickness and hand speed led him to a decisive ten-round TKO victory against Fernando Vargas at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, NV on Saturday. It was Mosley’s most significant victory in nearly three years.
In addition to winning the fight, Mosley (42-4, 36 KOs) also wins a $100,000 bet he made with Vargas (26-3, 22 KOs) that the winner would win by knockout.
“I am a man of my word,” Vargas said at the post fight press conference. “I will pay him.”
Mosley is a former undefeated world lightweight champion, who moved up two weight classes to beat De La Hoya (Mosley’s current promoter under the Golden Boy Promotions) for the WBC welterweight championship in 2000.
Mosley would defeat De La Hoya again for the junior middleweight championship in 2003, but would lose a pair of decisions to both Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright.
Mosley needed a decisive victory against Vargas to prove that he is still a special fighter, although he is 34.
From the opening bell, Mosley was able to land his right hand at will. Vargas’ left eye started swelling rapidly. Mosley applied relentless pressure, throwing left and right hooks to Vargas’ body. Mosley’s punches were crisp and faster than Vargas, who has more difficulty seeing Mosley’s right hands as the bout continued.
“In the first round, I hit him in the eye with a right hand,” Mosley said. “As the rounds went on, [the swelling] got bigger and bigger, and I was like, ‘Wow.’ I was looking over at Bernard and Oscar and they were yelling, ‘The eye! The eye!’”
Mosley was in such superior conditioning that he was able to apply pressure by attacking Vargas’ badly swollen right eye. Mosley was relentless, but Vargas refused to back down. Vargas tried bully Mosley against the ropes and pummel him, but he simply had more difficulty seeing from out his badly swollen eye.
Although Vargas did not go down, he simply could not see Mosley’s fast punches coming. The bout came to and end at 1:22 of the tenth when Vargas’ left eye was closed shut. He was ahead on the one of the three judges scorecards 86-85. Mosley was ahead 86-85 at the time of the stoppage.
Mosley earned $3 million. Vargas earned $4 million, in addition to a percentage of the pay per view revenue. Mosley plans to returning to 154 and does not appear to have rematch with Vargas on his mind.
“Mayweather is the No. 1 guy,” Mosley said.
Fernando Vargas may be 28 and has had only 28 professional fights. However, he has been knocked out three times and has had a series of terrific, but brutal fights in his career. Vargas, a couple years ago, suffered from a severe back injury which kept him out of boxing for more than a year. Vargas suffered another stoppage in another brutal fight.
Vargas, Oxnard,CA, became the youngest IBF junior middleweight champion in history less than one week after his 21st birthday on Dec. 12, 1998. Vargas, after 5 successful defenses including a 12-round war with former 147-pound champion Ike Quartey, Vargas suffered a brutal twelve-round Knockout loss to Felix Trinidad in Dec. 2000.
Vargas would regain a junior middleweight championship in 2001, but would be KO’d by De La Hoya in September 2002 in a junior middleweight title unification bout. Vargas has not been in a world title fight in four years. How much does Vargas have left?
Calvin Brock is not the average fighter who had a difficult life, having no choice but to fight his way out of inner-city poverty. Brock is an educated man have graduated from the University of North Carolina with a Finance degree. This scholar has moved one step closer toward earning a world heavyweight championship fight.
Brock (28-0, 22 KOs) knocked out Zuri Lawrence (20-11-4 0 KOs) with a sharp left hook on Saturday’s Shane Mosley-Fernando Vargas HBO Pay Per View card.
“I was breaking him down,” Brock said. “I saw he had his hands down and I knocked him out. I knew he was out as soon as I caught him with that left hook. I can’t ask for a better performance than that.”
Brock, an undefeated African-American contender from Charlotte, North Carolina, has high rankings in the major three sanctioning bodies: No. 6 in both the WBA/WBC and No. 3 in the IBF.
Brock began his amateur career before he was 13 and represented the U.S. at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Brock started his professional career late at age 25 in 2001. Brock has built a notable undefeated record.
The year 2005 was Brock’s biggest year as a pro. Brock won a 10-round unanimous decision against Jameel McCline in April 2005. At 6′ 7,” 268, McCline outweighed Brock by almost 50 pounds. Brock was faster with his hands and quicker on his feet than McCline, who had lost a close decision to Chris Byrd for the IBF heavyweight championship five months earlier.
At age 31, Brock could possibly earn a world title shot before the year ends. One thing is certain, Brock will not be fighting for the WBC heavyweight title anytime soon. Its champion, Hasim Rahman will meet No. 1-ranked James Toney on March 18, in Atlantic City, NJ. The Rahman-Toney winner will be mandated to fight No. 2-ranked, Oleg Maskaev, who once knocked Rahman through the ropes in a Nov. 1998 heavyweight bout.
IBF heavyweight champion, Chris Byrd has a mandatory defense against Wladimir Klitschko in Germany on April 22.
Newly-crowned WBA heavyweight champ, 7’0, 350-pound Nicolay Valuev is not going to risk his title against another undefeated prospect like Brock. Valuev could face Ruiz, the man he defeated in December to win the championship or face Owen Beck.
Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson’s bid to win a fourth world championship ended before he stepped into the ring on Saturday against WBO bantamweight champion, Jhonny Gonzalez. Johnson, the first African-American to win the IBF 112 and 115 pound titles, was unable to make the 118-pound weight limit and was fined $4,500. The bout was changed to a non-title bout and Johnson was knocked out.
The 24-year-old Gonzalez dropped Johnson in round four with a straight right. The champion was able to finish Johnson at 1:08 of the eighth round.
Johnson will turn 35 in August. He has not won a fight since July 2004. His loss to Gonzalez was his second consecutive loss by KO. One has to question whether Johnson’s boxing career is finished.
“I’m gonna go back to the drawing board and see where I stand,” Johnson said immediately following his loss to Gonzalez.
Johnson, a native of Washington D.C., was recognized for his hand speed and counterpunching. He had more than 14 world championship fights throughout his career which began in 1990. Johnson spent the majority of his career chasing bigger paydays against the top fights from 118-126 that included Naseem Hamed, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Danny Romero, Pauile Ayala, and Tim Austin.
Johnson could possibly be an International Boxing Hall of Fame candidate in the future if he does not resume his boxing career.